The Eastern Environmental Law Center stands with those taking action to promote racial justice in response to the outrageous killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and countless others. These killings are painful examples of the disproportionate and unjust harms wrought upon Black communities by systemic racism. These harms are myriad, and pervasive. EELC remains steadfastly committed to the fight for justice, and firmly believes that all people – regardless of race or income – have equal rights to a clean, healthy and safe environment. Words matter, but action is necessary. EELC is committed to the following actions:
– continuing to pursue environmental justice in court;
– broadening and deepening our connections to communities of color in order to better understand the best way for EELC to serve them and provide necessary legal support;
– expanding and diversifying our team;
– enhancing opportunities for underrepresented minority law students who are interested in gaining experience in environmental law
– educating ourselves on how to be anti-racist as human beings, in our homes and neighborhoods, in the workplace, and in the communities we serve.