Eastern Environmental Law Center (EELC) is hiring a Staff Attorney whose docket will include work in each of our practice areas: clean energy, environmental justice, and open space/sustainable development.
EELC is New Jersey’s sole, nonprofit public interest environmental law firm. Based in Newark, EELC provides legal assistance to community groups and environmental advocacy organizations working to implement equitable clean-energy solutions, achieve environmental justice and protect open space from unsustainable development. EELC has been doing this work since 1995.
EELC strives to provide high-quality legal services in a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment.
● Assist with development and management of relationships with clients and partners
● Engage in team problem-solving and legal-strategy development
● Collaborate with clients, experts, and partners to develop legal strategies
● Participate in litigation tasks, including factual investigation, legal research, discovery, brief drafting, witness preparation and oral advocacy
● Support efforts to ensure a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and team-oriented work culture
● Juris Doctorate degree and admission to the New Jersey bar
- 2 – 5 years of legal practice experience; experience with fossil-fuel pipeline projects and/or Federal Energy Regulatory Commission proceedings a plus.
● Excellent communication, research and writing skills
● Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with a team
● Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture ● Commitment to public-interest law and a passion for EELC’s mission
Interested candidates should email the following application materials to Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[Candidate’s Last Name] Staff Attorney Application”:
● One- or two-page cover letter addressing (1) how EELC’s mission aligns with your professional goals; and (2) any lived, or work experience you have relevant to EELC’s mission
● Legal writing sample that primarily reflects your work
● List of two references
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.